Govt announces panchayat poll process in Ladakh to fill ‘democratic vacuum’, district council polls next | India News

Legal News Update: Govt announces panchayat poll process in Ladakh to fill ‘democratic vacuum’, district council polls next | India News

Govt announces panchayat poll process in Ladakh to fill ‘democratic vacuum’, district council polls next
Panchayat poll process in Ladakh announced

SRINAGAR: A day after a meeting between Ladakh representatives and officials of ministry of home affairs, the Ladakh administration Thursday announced that the govt was taking steps to address the democratic vacuum in the Union Territory and, to begin with, it would recommend to the Election Commission to initiate the panchayat election process.Speaking to media persons in Leh, chief secretary Ashish Kundra said the commission would undertake necessary revision of electoral rolls before issuing a formal notification.Currently, only the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council-Kargil has an elected body. Elections to its counterpart in Leh could not be held following the Sept 24 violence last year, when four people were killed after the police allegedly opened fire on protesters demanding Sixth Schedule protection and statehood for the region.“There are panchayats, municipalities and district councils. Obviously, we will fulfil our constitutional and legal obligations. The central govt has made it clear that whatever can be done to strengthen democracy here should be done so that people shouldn’t feel their democratic aspirations are not being fulfilled. The first link in that process is panchayat elections, which will now be held,” Kundra said. The next step, he said, would be to establish district councils in all seven districts of Ladakh.About Wednesday’s meeting of MHA officials with the Leh Apex Body and Kargil Democratic Alliance, the chief secretary said the discussions were held in an “open atmosphere”. The Ladakh representatives insisted on their demand for a legislative assembly headed by a chief minister and withdrawal of cases against all those booked in connection with the Sept 24 violence last year.

Share your thoughts in the comments